Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hospital visit


Well, we had our first stay at the hospital with a sick kid. Such a scary experience for a first time mom. Im very glad we went and it wasn't that scary with it all said and done. Heres the story.....
Kohen woke up Thursday morning about 1 am throwing up. I then laid a towel down and brought him to my bed. He threw up a few more times before finally falling a sleep for about an hour an a half. I luckily had my 36 week check up apt in the morning and decided just to bring Kohen with me. The dct said to watch him and see if it got worse or if he started getting a fever then to call him. He fell asleep on the way home and came home and slept for about and hour and a half in his crib. He woke up and threw up again (we luckily had no throw up in the dct office but I was totally prepared). And then the diarrhea started and let me tell you it was horrible. I'm not going to describe it in detail but it was horrible. Around one o'clock in the afternoon he started getting a fever. He would fall asleep in my arms with his blanket for a few minutes and wake up and throw up. I then decided to call the dct to see if I could give him Tylenol with nothing in his stomach. He asked when his last wet diaper was and I said about 6 that morning. He told me that he would call me back. When he called back about a 1/2 hour later he proceeded to tell me that he was having a room prepped at the hospital, that I need to bring him to admitting in the east tower, and that he will most likely spend the night with an IV in. My heart dropped.....I have to be honest I did not want to take him in. I am so glad I did though. He was VERY lethargic and didn't even really make a peep when the put the IV in. (I had daddy go with him b/c I would have had a major breakdown) He didn't have a wet diaper until 11:30 that night and it was only a very small amount. He lost 3 pounds in the hospital and it turns out he had a bad case of the Rotavirus. So needless to say Kohen was VERY dehydrated. Kohen did and slept so well in the hospital. I slept with him in his bed. He was all cuddled up next to me ...as close as he could get with this belly. I loved all the snuggles and cuddles but I also wanted him to be better. By about 2 in the afternoon on Friday Kohen was ready to go home. He was getting a little restless and didn't want to watch cartoons anymore. I was right there with him. =) I think mickey mouse clubhouse is the most annoying show ever and if I have to hear the 'hot dog song' one more time I was going to shoot the TV. So we were discharged at 5 on Friday. Kohen is taking 4 hour naps and is still not his normal self but he is SOOOO much better and we praise God for that. It is also a huge blessing this all happened before the baby came and not after. Here's a few pics....


A very tired boy
Dad came to visit us before he went to work. Kohen was very happy about that and kept saying, "Dada stay there!" Meaning stay here.
Just woken up from a nap
Is that hospital gown not the cutest!?
Going home and getting his IV out!

2 comments:

  1. How scary Stacy!! So glad he's okay. And good job mom for calling the doctor and following up! Seems like this cold/flu season you just never know. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randomly found your blog! SO glad that he is doing so much better! Hospital stays are so mentally draining. Hope you all can store up some good rest before baby comes :)

    ReplyDelete